Monday 26 May 2014

Number two (snigger)

So the difficult 2nd post. Where to start? Maybe give a brief outline of the stuff this blog will probably cover and a bit of my history with it.

Video Games

Gaming has been in my life for a long long time. The earliest gaming machine I had was a Commodore 64. That should tell you how long I've been gaming. I'm now rocking the PS4, PS3 and Vita. I'm working my way through my PS3 back catalogue at the moment since there is a lack of good PS4 games out there that I haven't already played. Currently I'm playing Batman: Arkham Origins and it has carried on the tradition of the Arkham games being awesome. I was concerned when I heard Rocksteady were not making this game but WB Game Montreal have done a good job with the foundations they were given. There is not a lot of differences from the last games, but when the last games were so good, more of the same is just fine. Now it turns out Rocksteady have been busy building Arkham for the next gen (or is it current gen now?) and it looks like all their hard work is going to pay off.



Comics

I've only just started really collecting comics in the past 2 years, but I have had a love for superheroes since the 90's when the X-Men and Spider-man cartoons were on the Saturday morning tv show "Live and Kicking". These shows were the first introduction to serialised television as well as Marvel comics that I'd had. The animation was the best, but the story lines were well written and kept you coming back for more.They dealt with themes that other shows might have thought were too mature for younger audiences. For example the X-Men having to deal with fear and hatred from the people they were trying to protect. Mutants being rounded up and put into camps with echos of the Holocaust. These were not your average stories on a Saturday morning. The crossover was also brought to my attention when the X-Men turned up in Spider-Man. Never before had my two favourite shows been meshed together in one shared universe. Who knew that years down the line Marvel would do it again on a grander scale?

I tried collecting single issues of comics back then but was too impatient (and poor) to wait and keep buying monthly. So I stopped buying comics, but still followed anything to do with them. Once I got a full time job, someone introduced me to graphic novels and trade paper backs. That was me sold and I started collecting them. Now I'm on single issues and I'm slowly losing space.

That's the 2nd post done. Feel free to chat in the comments because I'd love to build a community here, might even set up a Facebook group if it takes off well. You guys could also suggest topics for future posts.



5 comments:

  1. i'm reading it, so i think so. unless i have gained some psycic abilities. What kind of graphic novels and comics? DC/ Marvel/ manga. looking forward to seeing whats to come

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mainly collect Marvel in the single issues and Image in the trade paper backs. Currently collecting Chew, Saga, Manhatten Projects and Walking Dead in the trades.

      Delete
    2. just ordered saga 1 from amazon, can't wait to give it a go. thanks :)

      Delete
    3. Its good. Very good. I've only got 1 myself but it has left me wanting more.

      Delete

Just be nice!